Thursday, March 8, 2012

Testing, Testing, 1.2.3

We are having another evaluation done on Preston at the Center on Human Development and Disability (CHDD) at the University of Washington. The last evaluation he had was 2 years ago and his team (therapists, teachers, psychologists) at school recommended it. I was thinking of doing it again anyway because it had been a couple years so I was fine with getting him scheduled again. They have a 3 month wait list to get in so I returned the paperwork as soon as I could. We got a letter from them saying we'd get scheduled in 3 months, but then the next day a lady called saying they were ready to schedule his appointments. Sweet! It's quite the process with 4 different days filled with appointments. He gets evaluated by a psychologist, speech therapist, physical therapist and then we talk with a social worker and fill out many forms of evaluations based on what we see at home. Then after all the therapists and evaluations are complete they meet with us and discuss their findings. I think his team at school wants to rule out autism. If he does get an autism diagnosis this time then he would qualify for all day preschool next year and that is what they want to figure out. (He has another year before kindergarten because his birthday is in October, which is to his benefit.) Plus, they see things that he was doing 2 years ago that he's still doing. Some things he's really improved on like his speech and self help skills (putting on coat, shoes, clothes), but then his social skills are still lacking.


I've always been resistant to the "autism" diagnosis because I don't want him to have it. I realized I am in denial about having a kid with developmental delays. Kyle and I have always hoped he'd "snap" out of it and be normal. But as the years go on we realize that might not happen. It's really hard. It's hard to deal with his constant issues, and having to discipline him (he's gotten better, when he was younger it was even worse, very emotionally draining). But it's also hard to realize you have a kid with special needs. It's something I never expected to deal with in my life. I always saw other parents with special needs kids and think "bless them for everything they go through with that kid because that would be hard" and would hope I never had to deal with that. I know his condition could be worse. I know we are all dealt with things in life that are hard and we are given them for a reason. These challenges are here to make us stronger. I just need to accept it and stop comparing Preston to other kids his age. I'm really bad at comparing. When I compare it just makes me more upset that he can't do certain things or behave a certain way like other kids his age. It just makes life more challenging because when we go out and Preston is interacting with other kids we always have to be like a "hawk" and watch him constantly just in case he does something bad or mean. It's not just a relaxing thing to let him go play. It's amazing seeing Lindsey grow and develop because she is doing things that Preston has just barely shown interest in (like putting on her coat, shoes, trying to buckle her car seat). So having another normally developed kid has really shown us how amazing development is because it just happens naturally...for most. As Preston has improved with his development, things have gotten easier. He is pretty independent and plays great on his own. :) He's cute, smart and likes to have fun. Then there are those rough days where Kyle and I ask "why us?" "what are we to learn from this?" It's always a challenge. But onward and upward to more testing and we'll see what the professionals think this time around.


12 Fabulous Comments:

Granny DeeAnn said...

I love your heartfelt post Heidi. Both you and Kyle are growing and learning right along with Preston. Just remember Preston picked you and Kyle to be his parents because he knew you would be the best parents for him. He is handsome, smart, funny, and challenging. He came to our family because we will be his best advocates. Can't wait to see my little buddy again. Oh the girls too.... Oh and you and Kyle too.... You are my favorite Lublin family!

Mandy said...

Heidi, this is Mandy, Jeni's long lost friend :) I too never in my wildest dreams thought I would be a mother to a child with special needs. And it is hard, and even really sucks at times, but he is your son and you will do what you can for him because you love him. And whether or not he is determined to have "autism" he has not changed, he will still be the Preston that you have always known(Take it from me, lessons learned from a mother who has been in the thick of it for 11 years). What will change is how you will approach daily life in terms of therapies, schooling and social activities. But if you do have to move into the world of "special needs" there are amazing people that you will come in contact with, that you may never had gotten to know. Caleb has had some AMAZING teachers and aides, and quite honestly when I go to his school and watch them, I don't know how they do it day in and day out. But I do what I do for Caleb because he is my son, and I know that you do too. Good luck with the testing, hopefully you will get the results you are hoping for :)

Stacey said...

Heidi, my heart goes out to you. Granted, it could be a lot worse, but I imagine I would be feeling the exact same feelings you are. We don't just want our kids to be normal, we want them to be the BEST. We feel like our kids are a reflection of us. Keep at it. He's going to turn out to be a great person. I know it! And you'll turn out to be a much more patient person:)

An Ordinary Mom said...

I love how absolutely real you keep it! Good luck with all the testing and keep us posted to how it goes!

And just remember, you are the *perfect* mother for all your little ones, even if there are moments/days/months where you don't feel that way. [Hmmm ... I should remember my own advice on an hourly basis :) !!]

melanie said...

Oh man do we ever NOT know the challenges that will be in our life here on earth. I wholeheartedly agree with you there. I know this was putting yourself 'out there' and I'm so glad you did. A very real post, I love it. I love Preston too and know that as his parents you guys will do anything for him. I know that doesn't take away the hard but I truly believe in you both. A hard challenge you won't shy away from. Love you guys so much!!

(p.s. I'll always want Reed to have Preston's awesome hair lol!!!)

ericksonzone said...

Oh Heidi! It is hard! It's hard not to get frustrated when the behavior is so frustrating. And you get to the end of the little bit of rope you've been clutching, and sometimes you lose it. That's how my experience goes...and I'm not dealing with any children with developmental delay. So I know it must really be taxing at times. In all that you wrote, I love that you're still going forward in Faith. Sometimes that's all that we can do, keep tackling another day and resolving to try harder to be better the next day. You are doing a great job. I know this because I know that you never do a half job. A line from school to help mewith my point, "Did anyone else get an A?" Don't you remember studying hard for a test, feeling like you bombed it, and then finding out that you actually got a good grade after all? You will find that you are getting an A on this test in your life. You're keeping him safe in your wonderful home so that he can grow and learn at his own pace. What a blessing you are to him! I love you and your family...I'll be thinking about you and praying for you. :)

allegra said...

OH Heidi, I'm so sorry and I know at times it must be really difficult. I agree with all the others--you're a fantastic mom. You have a loving home with a great spirit present and he's sooo lucky to have such an incredible support system with loved ones who care for him so deeply. Hang in there...we will definitely keep your little fam in our prayers and hope all his testing goes well. Thanks for sharing your thoughts-- you are a great mommy. I have always thought so!

Sally said...

Hang in there Heidi and let us know how it all goes!

Vicki Sabin said...

I loved your post. But I think I loved the comments better! You have a lot of support and love - I hope you always feel that. I've told you all along that Preston is lucky to have you as his mommy and Kyle as his daddy. And he's lucky to have sisters and grandparents, aunts & uncles, cousins and friends who love him just the way he is. His diagnosis won't change any of that. But mostly, I love you - because I'm your mom :).

Matt and Dani said...

I was just with you and just now read this post! I love you Heidi. You are an amazing mom and Preston is darling. Great real post Hugh. So glad we are friends!

tarat said...

Good luck this week Heidi. (And the rest of your family!) I saw your parents and Jared last night at my parents and it reminded me how much I love your family. We'll keep you guys in our prayers, and hope that all this testing will lead to knowing the best ways to help Preston, and the rest of you too. Love you! Tara

Shar said...

you are a great mom always! i'm sorry it's so hard. we're having some issues with K and i keep wondering if there's more to it because i compare her to the kids around her. i'm reading a book about ADD (because hubby has it) and it's helping remind me that we all are wonderful, amazing people - that we're each individuals who interpret the world differently, and that each of us needs different things. often a diagnosis just helps us better understand what those different needs are. i love you heidi! sending hugs and prayers your way :)