Monday, February 25, 2008

Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!

We had beautiful weather this weekend and so we took advantage of that and went to the zoo Saturday morning. It was a fun family outing. We have a membership to the zoo so we try to go often. It's nice to have a membership because there's no pressure if you don't or can't see everything. Kate rode the carousal and talked about "riding a horse" the rest of the day. She loved seeing the giraffes, elephants, monkeys and lions. Preston was good and hung out in the stroller.



Then that night we went to some friends house and had a yummy dinner followed by playing the Farming Game. Kyle and I both grew up playing that game and it's so fun. The couple we played with liked it too so we had fun playing for a few hours. It was a late night for everyone! We kind of payed for it the next day with tired kids (and parents!). :)

I am a dental hygienist and worked full time for 2 years and then only one day a week for almost 2 years after Kate was born. It was great to get out of the house and nice to earn extra money. My coworkers are great and even though I quit working last September before having Preston, they still invite me to things. They are too nice. Well, last week they gave me the option of filling in whenever I want or working one day a month. I thought about this long and hard. It would be nice to keep up my skills a little, get out of the house and bring home some extra cash! (This job pays well so even one day a month is good!) So I talked to my family, Kyle and I prayed about it. Kyle wasn't sold on the idea and I was giving him the pros and cons. I asked my friend, Kati, who used to watch Kate one day a week if she'd be willing to watch the kids. (She has two of her own the same ages as my kids so it would be like watching two sets of twins!) She said yes, but then thought about the craziness of it all and decided against it. After getting her answer I talked to Kyle again and we decided that I would not work. I can always fill in if I really want, but I feel good about my decision. I figure why add more stress to my life (like if the kids are sick that one day I need to work and trying to find someone to watch them is tricky). Kyle said I could work the one day a month if I would feel more fulfilled, but he said "we only raise these kids once and it's worth it for you to be home with them". I have a good husband. I should be grateful he's not pressuring me to work and that he appreciates and values a stay at home mom! So onto the next poopy diaper and load of laundry!!! ha! :)

7 Fabulous Comments:

Vicki Sabin said...

You DO have a good husband. Good advice. Remember that - even during the hard times. Cute picture of Kate. Makes me want to visit the zoo!

melanie said...

I'm with your mom, I want to go to the zoo again. The kids love that place and always remember my mom saying Milo and I are howling monkeys. Thanks mom, ha!

We need a game night that doesn't involve kids! Too bad everyone we know has them.

It is so hard to stay home but at the same time, even harder to leave. Especially when they are so little. I'm glad you both feel good with your decision and it's good to know that if there ever is a time it's necessary you have that option. That's awesome.

Just know I'm right there with you washing bathroom rugs and sheets today. Fun, huh!?

Granny DeeAnn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Granny DeeAnn said...

Granny DeeAnn said...
Love the pictures. Reminds me of when we went to the zoo with all four! I love looking at my screen saver with all of their pictures. You could fly me in one day a month, I would love that!!! I wouldn't charge for watching them! Good decision! I just got off of the phone with the princess and yes, I was Cinderella once more. I feel just a little guilty tho, cause I look more like Snow White!! tee hee See you soon!

Stephanie said...

What a fun day. I'm excited to go to the zoo here once it warms up. That picture of Kate on the carousel is so cute.

Anna said...

How fun. Im forcing Kurt into taking us to the zoo during spring break.
The decision to stay home is so hard. It seems like it shouldnt be-but it is. I worked at the hospital while pregnant with Maggie and even continued filling in here and there until she was 3.5, they wanted me to commit to more or nothing so I had to go with nothing. I miss it sometimes but I know I would miss my kids more!:)Most days.

~Aimee~ said...

Yay for the zoo! Steve and I are dying to go, but think Jilly's still a little too young for it to really be worth it. And I'm glad you were able to make a decision you feel good about, with your job. :) Staying at home is awesome! I love it, even though I'm going to work full time for a couple months.