Wednesday, February 10, 2010

"I want milk"

Preston is just over 2 years old, but we have noticed he's not talking as much as other kids his age and definitely not as much as Kate was when she was his age and I know boys are different than girls, but this concerned us. Since he doesn't communicate that well he will either whine or help himself to what he wants, if he can reach it, or say simple words. One of the phrases he does know is "I want milk"- when we make him say it- because he LOVES his milk. Along with his speech he has little idiosyncrasies or quirks that are concerning so he will be evaluated in a few months at the UW developmental center. It's good that we live over here so he can get help if he needs any.

The other day, we had a speech therapist come to our house and evaluate him. She agreed he needed extra help so now she will be coming to visit Preston at our house to help him with his speech. We are excited for this because hopefully he can learn to talk better and not get so frustrated and be less whiny. :) We want him to be happy and not being able to communicate is probably frustrating for him. So we will see how the speech therapy goes and hopefully it helps.

8 Fabulous Comments:

marcalicious said...

sweet!!!! I still remember my speech therapist in 3rd grade. white-haired man that taught me how to say "rake" instead of "whake."

Sally said...

I hope the therapist can help Preston! I think we traded winters - I want mine back!
My kids LOVE bunkbeds...they are fun but it's a pain in the neck making the top bunk and washing the sheets...

Stephanie said...

He sounds a lot like Noah. I knew he wasn't communicating like he should. We got him into a speech therapist and a "preschool". He still isn't quite where he should be but he has improved so much. I hope it all goes well for Preston.

ericksonzone said...

That is good that Preston will be getting some extra help. I remember when my nephew Austin learned sign language because he wasn't able to talk at three years. The crying fits stopped and he was a happier kid. Eventually his speech developed and he is fine now.

I hope all goes well.

melanie said...

There's hope for Dane in learning his r's if Marci said 'wake' for rake until the 3rd grade. Good news! I'm glad Preston is going to get some one on one help. Getting started early is much better than waiting. Another good mom move!

Becky Noftle said...

Now I want you to remember in a few years when he is asking to use the car and for money that you two Wanted him to communicate better!

Vicki Sabin said...

Becky's comment made me laugh! I remember teaching our kids to talk and then wishing I hadn't - especially at church! It was harder teaching them to whisper! Good luck Preston with your speech therapy. I bet you'll be talking paragraphs.

Lindsay said...

You're such a good mom to see a need and then work to fix it. That's so good that you're working to help him in every way...I know you think all moms would do that, but not all moms do. You're great!