Tuesday, December 24, 2013

5th Position and Jump Shot

Kate started ballet this year in September at a different studio. She is in the same class again as her friend Alyssa. We had stopped ballet in Feb/March of this year because of lack of students at the other studio. So far this new studio has been better. The teacher is more strict so Kate misses the other teacher. ha. But overall, she likes it still. They had a winter recital this year, but it was on a Sunday so Kate didn't participate. We've been having to tell a few people about what we do and don't do on the Sabbath Day...like no birthday parties for friends or no shopping or no going to events. We keep it as a family and Church day. Since we didn't go to the recital the owners let us parents come in and watch them perform it in class last week. It was good to see Kate dance with the other girls. I have no idea about ballet technique so I think she did good. haha! She has her final recital performance in June and thank goodness it's on a Saturday.





Kate is also doing basketball this winter. It's been crazier than her basketball schedule last year because it's 2 practices a week and games either on Friday night or Saturday. We are doing it through the Boys and Girls Club since it was longer playing season and cheaper than the YMCA. But now with overlapping ballet, basketball and activity days for Church it makes for crazy Tuesdays and Wednesdays. I'm glad it's temporary because I'm going nuts on those two nights. Kate likes basketball, but the first game they had was hard. It was hard for me to watch too! I love playing basketball and I know the rules so it's different watching her do basketball versus ballet. The other team they played was amazing (all the teams she plays are 3rd/4th grade girls) and the coaches were intense. Our team looked so ill prepared and most of the girls had no clue what to do, like they didn't know the basic rules of basketball. It was painful. I was in a bad mood watching it so I had to call my parents to calm me down and ask how they watched our sport teams when we would lose all the time. ha! I need to lower my expectations and realize these girls are only in 3rd/4th grades. And I want Kate to have fun doing it. 


3 Fabulous Comments:

LizzyP said...

I'm so glad that you posted this, Heidi. I think I'm going to put Amelia in ballet this year, but I haven't heard of anyone else opting out of Sunday things and that's kind of a given with me. I hear lots of parents say "it's just one night a year" but I can't pull that off. Anyway, thanks for giving me a little more courage.

Granny DeeAnn said...

Ballerina Kate is beautiful. Kate you are one Rock Star: a rockin' ballerina one day, and then a basketball star. I want to come see you dance!

Granny DeeAnn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.