Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Preston's Field Trip and The Last Day of School


I got to go with Preston on his Kindergarten Field Trip to the Mukilteo Beach a few days before school was out. I sat with Preston and his friend Wilson Giles on the bus. They were excited to ride on a bus. My friend, Jenn Mize, watched Lindsey and Chelsea so I could go which was nice of her.


I had Wilson, Joshua and Preston in my group


We found lots of things, but here they are touching a tiny star fish on a rock 


This is their teacher, Ms Hooper, and she's telling them about the stuff they are finding.


We saw crabs and they would squirt water up in the air so the kids liked that.


Snack break after playing at the beach and on the playground.


The whole class together. This year they had a student teacher, Miss Kukina (I think) that joined their class. Ms Hooper was great with Preston. She was sensitive to his needs, but pushed him academically once she realized how smart he is. She told me he surprised her. She didn't realized he knew so much. :) By the end of the year he was reading in the 2nd grade level and doing much better with his handwriting. We were so proud of him. She was also firm with him and I think that was good for him so he learns to follow rules and knows about consequences. He liked her and was always happy to go to school. He was sad when he didn't have school!


Funny Face!


Preston on the last day of school. I teared up after telling Ms Hooper goodbye because it would be the last time we saw her since we had moved and would be going to a new school in the fall. I really liked their elementary school, Odyssey Elementary, and so did the kids. I'm nervous for a new school. The principal, Ms Boze, was amazing. She interacted with the students like none other. She knew most of their names and that was impressive. She came up to me at a school function towards the end of school once she heard we were moving and told me she was going to miss our family. How thoughtful of her to tell me that. I value principals because mine in High School was amazing, Mr. Cordell, so I really appreciate a good principal who reaches out to the kids. They also pushed Accelerated Reading program and I liked that along with teaching cursive (which I hear a lot of schools don't teach) and they had a math program the kids did at home. Good memories.


Kate on the last day of school. She was sad to say bye to friends and her teacher, Miss Johnson, but she was excited for summer break. 


I wanted a picture of the school and the lineup they do after school everyday just for memories. 


I took them to Menchies for an after school/ beginning of summer celebration treat. They were excited. Preston even likes it (he doesn't eat desserts much). I'd rather have a blizzard, but whatever. 

0 Fabulous Comments: