The young men put on a pinewood derby for their combined mutual activity. The young women were invited as well as any ward members that wanted to come. Kyle was in charge of doing decorations and the prizes. With limited time (yes, they are men!) Kyle and I brainstormed for decoration ideas. I looked in a few stores to try to find black and white checkered flags, but couldn't find any. As I was driving around I noticed this truck dealership with multiple black and white flags on the trucks' antennas. I decided to go there and as them if I could borrow a few of their flags for our activity. I did and they said yes! I was excited. So notice the black and white flags in the pictures- I was excited to get them. Kyle gets the car and driver magazine so he cut out pictures from that and put them up. The refreshments were the pit stop (nachos, chocolate donettes- to look like tires- chocolate/cream cheese cupcakes, sugar cookies and chocolate chip cookies). I think everyone had a good time.
These are cars made out of mini snickers and kissables stuck into them with frosting to hold them in. I found this idea online and loved it.
The decorations. Love the shop towels and quarts of car oil as the centerpiece. There was a white balloon with the red and black, but Kate popped it at home. I wasn't happy about that. Oh well. For the napkins we used shop towels. ha!
Kyle with Preston and the other folks. The prizes were: the overall winner got the "100 grand" purse (candybar), the overall youth winner got starburst candy for being the "star", the winner following the scout rules got trail mix for his next big hike (that was Kyle's idea and I thought it was clever) and the most creative got some Cars chalk and holder to be creative at home. :) All the winners also got a small cup trophy as well.
14 Fabulous Comments:
Heidi, you are so resourceful, I love it!! Such cute ideas here. I love the snicker's cars, that would totally work for a boys birthday party. Hmmm, I have a few of those around here...I'm using it one day! Glad you guys had fun.
What an amazing idea! The snicker cars are great, I might have to copy that for Reed's upcoming third birthday.
This sounds like so much fun! :)
Way to go you two! what a great team. I never in a million years would have thought to ask a dealership for their flags. I can only imagine what the conversation was like in there after you walked out! :)
Dana
Wow, you guys are creative, especially with limited time. ;) Looks like fun, though. I don't think I had ever been to Pinewood Derby where they bothered to do things like that!
I feel so bad I had to miss it. I told the men that it took a lot of planning and time but it really looks fantastic. They did a great job (you did too). Were there any cars that were "fun" cars?
You are so creative! I love the snicker cars! So cute!
Very cute! Way to be always on the look out about the flags. They added the perfect touch. I loved the candy bar race cars.
what cute ideas Heidi! Even Kyle is creative...sweet deal! :)
Very cute. I will have to remember some of these ideas for a future boy birthday party maybe.
Aren't boys awesome!
Hey, Kyle knew three weeks before that he was in charge of decorations! Good thing he has you to put such cute things together! That night really turned out well! Would you mind sending me the pictures you took?
Thanks,
Jeanne
I love the snickers race track. I would have ate it all up. Yummm! Great guy decor. I love the shop towels, they made me laugh!
Cute ideas Heidi. Thanks for sharing. I fear the day that one or all of my kids decide to cut their own hair-scary! But Kate still looks cute.
So creative . . . and resourceful! Love it :)
Post a Comment