Wednesday, March 13, 2013

She Strikes Again


Yes, that's red lipstick all over her face. Yes, that's blue and purple nail polish all over her shirt and jeans. Kate and Preston had just gotten home from school and I had opened the door for them and turned around and saw Lindsey on the stairs looking like this. You can tell she knows she's in trouble.

On Monday for nap time, I had put her in Preston's room and was downstairs thinking how quiet it was so she must have fallen asleep. Usually, if she wakes up she comes downstairs. I was enjoying my peace and quiet. I was nervous to go into my room to see the damage. The blue fingernail polish bottle was tipped over on the carpet with a big puddle of nail polish on the carpet. There was also purple nail polish specks on the carpet. In the bathroom on the floor was Clearasil, eye cream and foundation squirted all over. My foundation tube was empty. There was black makeup on the cupboard. (The next day I found out she had gotten into my mascara b/c it wasn't closed and the wand was bent.) She also scribbled with a pencil all over the bookcase. Luckily, the pencil and makeup off the linoleum floor came off. The blue fingernail polish is another story. We now have a blue spot on the carpet. I tried getting most of it up with acetone remover, but it's pretty bad. I tried cleaning her jeans, but the blue wouldn't come out and she also got white nail polish on it and I tried Clorox for Colors and it just bleached the jeans. They got thrown away. Guess I get to go shopping for more mint jeans. The next day I put her in Preston's room with a child lock on the inside door knob. She took a nap. It was a lovely afternoon.

On Monday, I took Chelsea in for her 9 month check-up and she weighed 20 lbs. My other kids weren't 20 lbs until 1 yr old! She's eating some table food and baby food. She stands up against furniture and likes to explore. She loves balloons, tags and ripping magazines so several Ensigns have been destroyed. The doctor found she had a double ear infection so she's on her first round of antibiotics. I'm kind of glad she got antibiotics because she's had cold after cold this winter so maybe it will help her body fight all the germs off (even though I know colds are viruses, I'm hoping it helps). 

Kate brought home this reading test that her school does every so often to test their fluency. They are supposed to be reading 80-110 words per minute for 2nd grade. Well, Kate tested at reading at 203 words per minute. I was very proud of her. She also earned enough AR (accelerated reader) points to eat pizza with the Principal which she was excited about. You need 75 AR points to do that. Books that she's reading are either .5 or 1-2 points each, so that's lots of books she's had to read and tests she's had to take- they have to pass a test on the book at 80% or higher to get credit for the book.

Preston cheers every time he gets to go to school. I'm glad he loves it. I registered him for Kindergarten last week. Yikes! I'm nervous for him. We are transitioning him into normal ed Kindergarten. His teachers think that's the best fit for him and even though I'm nervous, I agree. He's come a long way with his language skills and is pretty independent. He learned to button his shirts on his own so now he wants to do it all by himself. We are working on snapping his jeans. Those are tough for him. He loves little lego sets and will put them together, take them apart and put them back together again. I guess it's like a puzzle to him and he used to love puzzles. 


4 Fabulous Comments:

Vicki Sabin said...

can I just say I love the glimpse you give into your life! Not only does it bring back memories, it kind of makes having an empty nest not so hard! You are a good mom. Hang in there! (And Lindsey - you are lucky your mom took your picture...)

Granny DeeAnn said...

Lindsey is going to need her own blog before long... Lets see.. How a Two-year-old Survives or maybe Thrives! Sounds like you won't be passing hand me downs to little Chelsea. Lucky girl, she will get all new clothes. Congrats to Kate. Reading is the key. Love that Preston cheers to go to school that's half the battle. Love reading your posts.

ericksonzone said...

These are the days. Yes, that is so great that you had enough presence of mind to take a picture. That is actually a good sign. It means that even though you're mad, you can see through it to the humor that the episode will have at a future time. Plus it gives you a chance to put some time between you finding out and you dealing with the issue. Those are two good reasons why I like taking pictures of those not so happy moments. Shaving cream is great at taking fingernail polish out of carpet. The key is to keep the spot wet, the acetone dries it out. Plus the foaming action of the shaving cream brings it out. Benjamin dumped a whole brand new bottle of dark red nail polish onto the light blue carpet of the house we were renting. I was putting water on the stain, praying and crying while Jason researched what to do on the internet. He ripped open the shaving cream after just a minute and it saved the day. I know that may not be all that helpful for this current stain, but for future reference. Note to self: Put everything up on high shelves. Benjamin also dumped a whole brand new bottle of fingernail polish remover down the vent. Whenever the air conditioning came on, it would smell in that room. It was the office - not good. Him and Paul also shook a whole bottle of baby powder out on their train table and floor. Oh and don't forget the time that Ben sprayed out all of my scentsy room spray, only to dump out the entire new bottle I bought to replace the first one he wasted. Yes, I was so mad. and I think I got a picture. :)
Anyway, I thought maybe sharing some of my horror stories would help make you laugh. You'll share these stories with her in a couple of years and she'll laugh at what a silly little girl she was to get into your things.

Team Burtenshaw said...

Little Lindsey! That picture is perfect. Says it all, buy your description makes it even better. I wouldn't even know where to start to get it out.... You are an amazing mom, and I just love your kids. Hooray for Kindergarten next year. ...I still have to get Kali in for her shots first - but it scares me too much bc she is such a sissy. ;) This kind of post is perfect for laughs and smiles in the years to come!