Thursday, March 7, 2013

Running, Discing and Celebrating

We went over to my parents last weekend and it had been a long time (2 mo's, but that's a long time for us! ha!). We were celebrating my Mom's birthday and the kids really wanted to go to "mama" and "papa's" house. We had a great time as usual, laughed a lot and ate waayyy too much homemade yummy food (think cinnamon rolls, chocolate bundt cake, cherry cobbler, rolls, stuffed spuds, cafe rio and a turkey dinner).


Marci asked me in January if I wanted to run a 10k with her in March. I was hesitant because I have only ran 5k's, but I agreed to do it. The two months gave us enough time to train for it. We decided to do our own race because most of them are on Sundays and with some of them you pay a big registration fee and get either an ugly shirt or no shirt. We said we'd save the money and go shopping on our own and buy a cute shirt. So we set the date for March 2nd. We ran our 6.2 miles in Desert Aire and we were SO glad when we were done. That's a lot of running! I kept thinking of my Dad who has ran marathons and wondered how in the world he did that. It's not easy. I ran 10.5 minute mile and finished in 67 minutes. I was happy with that. 



Kyle was very excited to see my Dad's new big fancy tractor. While Marci and I were running our race, him and Kevin took all the kids out to the field to drive it. They did some discing. This is by far the fanciest tractor my Dad has ever had. Marci, Jeni and I grew up driving cabless tractors and arguing over who gets the best radio and headphones! Don't get me started on how nasty it was when there were lots of bugs out (this was in the middle of the night when we were baling hay with a dew- they don't bale with a dew now that they have big balers). They'd eat us alive so we'd raise our hand up to keep the bugs away from our face! Now they have amazing radios, air condition, digital everything and cabs! My Dad deserves it though. :)



My Dad was planting wheat seed and Lindsey rode with him and fell asleep in the tractor. Cute. 


Preston got all dressed up like this and said he was Jared. haha! I think Jared would wear a jersey, but I'm not so sure about him wearing a necklace or carrying a zebra striped wallet. We got a kick out of it. 


Carter, Kate and Paige having fun playing together and being ultra silly.


We celebrated my Mom's birthday on Friday with a yummy cafe rio dinner and chocolate bundt cake. Everyone was there except Jeff and Sadie and of course Jared. We had fun being together. After my Mom made her entire birthday dinner, Sara spoiled her with a pedicure and I gave her a massage. It's the least we could do since she was doing everything else!


Pin the tail on the Donkey
On Saturday afternoon, my Mom had her birthday party for the kids. She did some popular birthday games and the kids had fun. She's such a good grandma. Sara, Derek and Zane came back for the day on Saturday. We played some games of course! (our fave is Oh Heck)


Chelsea on the move and I love her smile and dimples. She is pulling herself up and standing. She's almost 9 months old already.


Hot potato 


A family favorite- Don't Eat Pete


Chelsea using my Mom's vintage/retro bouncy chair. We laugh about this thing. It's awesome. I also liked this picture showing Chelsea's new top teeth, she basically got all top 4 at the same time.

Dee Ann wanted to see the kids and us so she came out to Mattawa for Church on Sunday then came to my parent's house for the day. She brought some new clothes for the kids, which I always love getting. It was fun visiting with her and the kids were excited to see her. When we sat down in Church with Dee Ann (she was there saving us a seat), Preston didn't see her at first so a few minutes later he goes, "there's Grandma Dee Ann" and got a huge smile on his face. Then he wanted to go hug her. So cute.


Before we left Sunday, we got some permanent markers out and had to leave our mark. No really, it's fine. My Mom and Dad are getting new kitchen cabinets and counter tops this week so it's all getting ripped out anyway. Marci, Kate and I decorated it for her while she was at choir practice.

3 Fabulous Comments:

ericksonzone said...

Happy birthday Vicki! How fun that she puts on games for the grandkids. I bet they really love that. I'll have to get a list of your favorites so that I can use them at our gatherings. I like to plan games for the kids because it's so fun to see their delight and help them make memories. What is the game oh heck?
Way to go for running with Marci and I love that you just did your on race. Haha! That made me laugh so much. I think people get caught up in thinking it has to be an official race, but you're right in that it takes an entry fee and driving wherever to do it. You can just do your own and reward yourself how you want. love it! I love the new tractor too. My what a difference from the good old days. ;) Thanks for all the posting and updates. Love it!

allegra said...

yay on your race! good going Heidi! Your family is so fun. Look at all the good memories you're always having together. totally jealous!

Team Burtenshaw said...

How fun to read your updates. ...I have been a blogging slacker, so this was fun to read. Great job again with the 10K! So awesome! And of course I am happy about the JD tractor pictures. I have never drove one without a cab, but my dad always told me stories about it as a reminder to not complain about driving with an ac and radio. Haha.. you were tougher than me. :) Love your cute kids! It seems you have great family - both heritage and posterity! You are blessed to live close to them.