We had our Relief Society Birthday dinner celebration in April instead of March because the gym floor was getting a finishing coat. We had the theme "Sisters Around the World" and we visited 3 different countries and heard stories about women there who were furthering the purpose of Relief Society where they lived. We did a plane ride and it was a fun night. We had about 30 people come in total, which was low for us especially for an activity with a dinner, but those that came said they had a good time.
Everyone got their own boarding pass as their invite to our activity. I had a blank template that I found for a previous activity in our old ward so I just switched up the words and graphics. Then I printed them on card stock, used my sewing machine to make a perforated look along the bar code (this picture doesn't show the sewing holes because it was a test copy) then cut them out, rounded the corners and cut out the notches.
As they boarded the plane our lovely flight attendants, Laura Allred and Zilange McCoy, passed out water bottles and trail mix to the sisters. I gave a little speal similar to the ones on the airplanes (showing the exits, introducing the crew and pilot, etc) and then talked about the organization and purpose of Relief Society for a couple minutes. Before landing in each country, I would give the weather and the ETA. First stop...Hawaii. Everyone got a lei as they were welcomed into Hawaii. Sis Chung had a table of all her Hawaiian things (she's from there) and then gave a 5 minute thought. We boarded the plane again and watched an in flight movie (a Mormon Message on RS called Something Extraordinary). Then we landed in Japan. We were greeted by the sister missionaries and Patty Renda in kimonos. Patty and Diane Guthrie both had tables with Japanese things on them.
We ate teriyaki chicken, rice, steamed veggies and spring rolls with sweet and sour sauce. It turned out yummy, but I was worried about the teriyaki because I made that and tried a few sauces before finding one that I liked. It turned out fine. Phew. After dinner, Diane Guthrie (RS president and served her mission in Japan) spoke to us for a few minutes about women from Japan. Then we boarded the plane for our last destination. Our pilot, aka Bishop Davis, spoke for a couple minutes about Relief Society and then we landed in Italy. We served gelato (strawberry, chocolate and stracciatella- all from Costco) in little cups while Mindy Dabell (she served her mission in Italy) spoke about women from Italy. We had a closing song with a video with women from around the world singing I am a Child of God and we all joined in on the last verse. I told them they had to find their way home from Italy. ;)
L-R: Melissa Egan, Cambria Vanderveen and Laura Allred
They were dishing the gelato up. Some of my members on my committee. I'm lucky to have dependable people on my committee.
Cambria made these airplane windows by hand. She did a great job! They are pastels I believe. I was so impressed when she showed me.
0 Fabulous Comments:
Post a Comment