Thursday, January 22, 2015

Relief Society Service Auction


My calling is to plan the monthly Relief Society activities. I have a great committee that helps me a lot. This month we did a Service Auction. I had heard about it in other wards and heard it was fun so I wanted to try it. We had a good response from people with signing up to do a service so it turned out to be really fun. I had sign-ups passed around 2 weeks prior to the event with a list of ideas they could donate. Or they could think of something on their own. Then the night of the auction the sisters came and filled out a questionnaire that I found online with a bunch of questions that gave them points based on their answers. They used these points to bid on items. 


I made bundt cakes for dessert, but had to document this epic failure. I wanted to try a knock off recipe of Nothing Bundt Cake's White Chocolate Raspberry Bundt cake. Yeah, I tried it twice. Both times the cake stuck in the pan and looked horribly dark like this. I threw away the recipe and want to go back to that website and adamantly claim how it doesn't turn out. I tried raspberry jam the first time then a raspberry filling the next time. I think both times there was too much filling in it and it made it too heavy so the cake collapsed. Plus, when I looked online at the real Nothing Bundt cake it hardly has any raspberry swirl in it so I think this recipe asks for too much raspberry filling. 


I ended up making a Carrot Bundt cake with cream cheese frosting, Chocolate Chocolate Chip Bundt cake with cream cheese frosting and Lemon Bundt cake with a lemon glaze/frosting. They turned out yummy and moist. The lemon and Chocolate were the most popular. 


I had asked Lance Kenyon to be our auctioneer. At first he was hesitant because he was nervous getting up in front of all us women, but he did a fantastic job. He had jokes and wore a wide short tie and funny glasses. It was awesome. He had us laughing a lot. He even had fun and didn't want to leave (he had to leave early for a basketball game, our auction went longer than expected). I made some paddles with numbers for them to bid with. We had a rubber mallet and wood for the gavel and I made the tassel garland to put in front for added decoration. It was a fun night and several people commented that we should do it again. 

2 Fabulous Comments:

Chelle said...

If my ward doesn't agree to start having more fun meetings, I've defecting to yours! A very clever idea - and it sounds like everyone loved it! Plus, those cakes... yum! Nice job, all around.

Granny DeeAnn said...

Sounds like fun!