Monday, January 19, 2009

Bubble Buns, Cupcakes and Snowballs

This is what happens to little boys that have big sisters that like to dress up!!! He was NOT happy about it either. It was pretty funny (and cute) though.

We had a primary activity on Saturday morning. We wanted to center it around the new theme for the year "My Eternal Family". We called it a Family Fun Day and had each kid bring a family member whether that be their mom/dad, sister/brother, or grandparent. When they first came we had them play "Who am I?" where they have to guess the name on their back- we used church names. Next, we had a FHE lesson on families and why we are on earth with families and how we can be eternal families. Then the fun began with the games.


I grew up playing Don't Eat Pete and thought it would be fun to teach the kids this game. First, we let the kids play it so they would learn it and then they got to make their own board game by coloring the different faces. We sent them home with some M&M's and marshmallows so they could play with their family. You play the game by putting a M&M on each face. One person leaves the room and everyone else chooses a face to be Pete. The person comes back into the room and starts picking up one M&M at a time, but if they start to pick up the one that is on Pete everyone says "Don't Eat Pete!" Their turn is over, but they get to keep all the M&M's they picked up.

Then we played the Barnyard Animal Game where each person chose an animal, except a rooster. Then they wrote down 5 numbers between 1-20. When I called off a number they would make their animal sound if they had written down that number. It was funny hearing adults and kids make all these animal noises and the barnyard was noisy!!! Once all 5 of your numbers were called you would act like a rooster and say "cock-a-doodle-doo" to claim your prize, which was a sucker.

Time for a snowball fight! We actually got this idea from another primary in our stake. You put two tables on their side and have rolled up socks to be the "snowballs". Then you let the kids go at it. They L.O.V.E.D it! These pictures are of the kids 7 and under. We put the older kids in a different room since they would want to throw harder, which they did. :)

The "intense" snowball fight in action. On the way home Kate said, "I had fun throwing snowball socks at my little friends." Too cute.

After the snowball fight, we figured they would be cold (not really, they were actually sweaty!) so we had hot cocoa and bubble buns (cinnamon pull-apart bread that is divine).

Pretty cupcakes from Hello Cupcakes- a cupcake boutique- however they weren't that good. The chocolate one's were dry and the frosting wasn't very good. The carrot cupcake was the best- very moist. It was fun though to experience. I met up with my Mom and Marci at Marci's house to hang out for the afternoon after the primay activity. My mom came over to help Marci paint her bathroom, listen to her teach her lesson in RS at church and to just hang out for the weekend. We went to lunch at Indochine (an asian restaurant with an AMAZING seating design and a pretty waterfall next to us.) Then we did some shopping, visited a friend and had lots of laughs. I didn't get home until 11 pm! Kyle was nice enough to be home all day with the kiddos.

My Mom and Marci drove up to our house after church and I made lunch. We had chicken cordon bleu, broccoli, rice pilaf and rolls. We ate hot fudge pudding cake for dessert and visited. My Mom made sugar roll out cookies shaped like hearts with Kate and then us girls, along with 2 of my friends from the ward, went to North Seattle to listen to Julie Beck, the RS General President! We were so excited. We got there an hour early and had awesome seats 7 rows back. We were able to shake Sis. Beck's hand before and after! The talk was really good and she talked about finding joy in motherhood, finding joy in being single and ways we can improve ourselves by setting goals and serving the Lord. There was more to it and that's a horrible summary, but it was good. :) What's fun is that during her talk we learned about her and her husband (who was there) and she shared things about the church and how things are ran like with the church welfare system. Stuff like that is interesting to me and makes me like her and the church even more. It was a great spiritual boost for all of us there.

9 Fabulous Comments:

Granny DeeAnn said...

Sounds and looks like a busy weekend. I talked to Kate and she told me all about the sock snowball fight. Poor little Preston, I'm sure he's in for a few more dress-up days!!! :o)

ericksonzone said...

How fun! It makes me want to go out and plan an activity or make chicken cordon bleu. Way to go! How dun to be so close to a lot of fun places to shop. Sounds cool that you got to hear Sister Beck. I got to hear her in Richland when she was in the Young Women General Presidency. I absolutely loved her then and I still do. How cool that must have been.

ericksonzone said...

I see that you added me back to your list of blogging friends. I'm glad that we're still friends. :)

melanie said...

I know I've said this before but we are copying you....what a great activity!! I just wish we did something copy worthy for you, ha! Now where did you get your cute 'Don't Eat Pete' cards? An email full of questions might be in order.

So funny that Preston didn't like the wings. My boys learned to embrace it when Kat was in that phase. Thank goodness they outgrew it!

I love a good recharge like that. I think Julie Beck is a great speaker, I love her talks. Too bad the cupcakes didn't taste good cause they are cute! But we are comparing to the red velvet ones we had at the beginning of the month and they were de-lish!

Shaila Lou said...

My poor brother Jason had 4 sister older then him, and we ALWAYS dressed him in dresses and silky underwear. Then funny thing is, that he liked it for a long time. We still like to make fun of him for it!

You had such a fun primary activity. If I ever have anything to do with primary, I'll have to come back and copy all your great stuff!

What a wonderful way to end a weekend with a spiritual recharge with the girls.

Kati said...

This is why I shouldn't read blogs. This post made me SOO sad I missed everything this weekend! ::sigh:: Well, hopefully my new commitment to organization will prevent this in the future (or probably not with my luck :)

Heather said...

I love your "Don't Eat Pete" game. I will have to remember that to use sometime in primary or at home.

threelittlebackseatdrivers.blogspot.com said...

I'm going to use that primary game for rainy days with my nieces and nephews! Such a great idea! Sounds like you have been busy...random thought after seeing those cupcakes...Women's Day has "easy" mini petite fours that kids can decorate the top of...SO cute...made with frozen poundcake and storebought frosting...yum! I think I might have to make cupcakes today, they look yummy!

Buttercupyaya said...

hey...wasn't sure how else to get ahold of you guys...heard the PRH news today...sorry. :( I know how it goes. :(
D